Friday, August 29, 2008

Have you ever been so excited about something that you wanted to tell everyone in sight about it, even the ones who could care less?

This has been my exact feeling for the last three days, and yet I have withheld this desire to blurt out my thoughts because I am afraid it will be taken as bragging rather than pure excitement. So, I am going to try to convey this joy, that has hopefully subsided in the last few days, but only present the absolute facts. As with all news, the history of the story must be told or the news would be utterly meaningless.

Soccer is a passion of mine. Not the kind of fanatic-passion that is shown with constant viewing of the sport and in-depth statistical and player knowledge, but rather a simple passion that is fueled by the smell of grass as I am preparing for a game, laughing with teammates over everything except soccer, and beautiful creativity on the field. Soccer has been a passion since the seventh grade when my Coach, Chris Trujillo, would let me come early to practice to teach me slide-tackling and diving headers. It is these things that truly make me come alive.

At the beginning of my Junior year in college, a crazy idea came into my head that was perhaps encouraged by the fear of losing the opportunity to further fuel my passion at the end of my college soccer career, 'What if I could play soccer for a living?' From that moment, deep inside, it was a dream of mine to play soccer at the highest level possible, higher even than the collegeiate level. This impossible feat seemed even more impossible as I began exploring my options, but as I have learned repeatedly in life, the things we want the most, do not come without a fight.

Tuesday evening, as I drove on the German Autobahn from Nürnberg to Crailsheim, my dream of playing soccer at the highest level was becoming closer at a rate of about 120 km/hr, yet it still seemed so far away. In between me and my dream were miles of highway, a meeting with the team manager, and of course, a two hour try-out. Not only did these things need to pass by with miraculous harmony, but even more obstacles were speeding through my mind.

'How would I ever get to practice four times a week without a car when the trains stop running before practice is finished? After playing at a low-level for over a year, would I even be able to play at this high level again?'

Not only were the physics working against the car, but all the odds of achieving my dream were against me. I knew that without help from above, my dream could never come true.

As my mind raced, I prayed simply that I would not worry about the details, and that I would first just play soccer as I always have.

So, in referencing my previous post, God truly does give us the desires of our heart, and he is generous beyond our imagination, my imagination. After arriving in Crailsheim, meeting with the team manager, training with the team, and leaving Crailsheim, these are the things that have caused my overflowing excitement for the last three days:

1) I get to play soccer the Tuesday after I move to Germany.
2) I have the opportunity to train with TSV Crailsheim a Fraulein-Bundesliga team beginning in October.
3) The team pays for a car and gas for me and two other women to drive to and from Nürnberg for practice.
4) The coach said he would be excited to have me come back in October.


This truly is a miracle because really without God it could not have happened. I did not play my best at the try-out, yet the coach would like to have me back. I had no idea of how to get to practices, yet a car and gas will be provided. I played in a much lower league in Switzerland, yet the coach still allowed me to have a try-out.

That is my news, and I only hope it has not crossed the border of bragging because really it could not have happened without God willing it so...

3 comments:

Mike and Becka said...

OH MY GOSH!!! Not bragging - you nerd! SO SO SO SO SO EXCITED for you, C!!! Wowsers! I only wish I could be there to watch you play. Hey Schimpfy, want to fly out to Germany to watch a great game?

LOVE YOU!!!

Ric Wild said...

Nason, you rock! I'll look for you on ESPN II Hope you get lots of compliments because you are really good at receiving them :)

lacey said...

WOW - what an amazing story. I'm so happy for you!!!!