Wednesday, September 26, 2007

The Hike

Last saturday I had the greatest idea...I was going to hike to the top of Mount Pilatus, which overlooks Lake Lucern. The website I was getting directions from said the hike to the top was only about two hours, but that most people took the gondola to the top. Being the competitive person I was I scoffed at the gondola as I walked past, and I started my hike to the top.

An hour and a half in, I was only about a third of the way up the mountain, and I thought, "Gosh, I must be really out of shape." Finally, I walked by a group of four Swiss people who asked me if I was going to the top. I answered of course, wondering why anyone would ask such a silly question...Who wouldn't be going to the top? Then, I asked how much long it would take, and the kind Swiss man said it usually takes about five hours. I laughed at myself for thinking I could climb to the top in just two hours, and was a little discouraged since I had to be at a bbq at 6:00pm. Since I had already passed the gondola, I was worried that I would not make it to the top. Luckily for me, the gondola had several places where I could board on the mountain.

Once I finally made it to the top, the view of the Alps was breath-taking. I had to keep looking down because I was so overwhelmed by the beauty. I was looking out, and I realized that yes I can hike this mountain...it may take a long time, and I will probably get there a different way than I planned. However, there is unimaginable beauty at the top.

I hope to do the same hike in the Spring, but actually start earlier so I can hike the entire mountain.

0 comments: